It's October, and that means THEMED TREATS! What could be better?
For all of the Holiday gatherings and fun get-togethers, we're sharing a few of our favorite spooky creations! If you like to get a little festive but not full on Paula Deen, then these "recipes" are for you! We've got Banana and Clementine Ghosts and Pumpkins, Pumpkin Spice Pumpkin Seeds, and Apple Teeth. Simple, fun, and healthy! Perfect for after school snacks and on-the-go-treats. Enjoy.
These simple treats are perfect for those of us less-than culinary artists; they could not be easier! Great addition to any party platter or after school snack, and you are literally done in minutes.
GHOSTS: Bananas, Chocolate Chips, Mini Chocolate Chips. Popsicle Stick, Mason Jar, and Candy Corn optional.
- Peel and half your bananas.
- Stick the mini-chocolate chips in for the eyes and regular chocolate chips in for the mouth, pointy side into the banana.
- For a fun display, add a popsicle stick and plop a few into a mason jar filled with candy corn. SO EASY!
PUMPKINS: Clementines, Celery. That's it.
- Peel your clementines
- chop up your celery- add the "stems."
Its okay to be basic when it tastes this good. You may have seen these at Trader Joe's, but why not DYI- impress your pals and save a few bucks.
We got the recipe from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/93408/toasted-pumpkin-seeds-with-sugar-and-spice/ . Put your own twist on it! Here's what you need:
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds, rinsed and dried
- 6 tablespoons white sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Spread pumpkin seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until dry and toasted. Larger seeds may take longer.
- In a large bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons of white sugar, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pumpkin seeds and sprinkle the remaining sugar over them. Stir with a wooden spoon until the sugar melts, about 45 seconds. Pour seeds into the bowl with the spiced sugar and stir until coated. Allow to cool before serving. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Cute, spooky, and easy to customize! Slice up your apples, slap on some nut butter, and add teeth. I've seen marshmallows, nuts, coconut chips, or seeds! Get creative.
Wishing you a happy, healthy, and spooky Halloween